I semi-recently shared a recipe for Chocolate Covered Banana Baked Oatmeal. I have started to eat oatmeal because of the health benefits and because it is supposed to be a nursing super food and I plan on having a baby soon!!
My kids and I have been eating it almost every day with tons of different variations but I would like to share my absolute favorite variation with you! It is like having desert for breakfast, but still has less sugar than store bought cereal, and no preservatives.
Streusel Oatmeal – Makes 2-3 servings
- 2.5 cups of milk of your choice but I use Whole
- 1.5 cups of quick cooking oats
- pinch of salt
- Brown sugar to taste
- Nuts – I prefer pecans, but I’m from FL :)
- Bring milk to a boil, I stir it a bit to prevent the milk from burning to the pan.
- Add the oats and a pinch of salt when it begins to boil
- Boil 1.5-2 mins, stirring occasionally
- I let it rest for a minute or two after I remove it from the heat to let it thicken
- Top each serving with a slice of butter, a spoonful or two of brown sugar, cinnamon and chopped nuts.
This is probably not a new idea to someone who makes oatmeal often, but if making oatmeal is new to you I would suggest you try and experiment with it! It only dirties one pan and only takes a few minutes to make and is pretty healthy overall. I had to make it several times before it was edible, but I learned that making it with milk makes all the difference! What is your favorite oatmeal add ins?