Strawberry pretzel salad is one of my favorite desserts, I first tasted it while attending Clearwater Christian College and it took me FOREVER to find the recipe! But it left such an impression that I searched forever for it. I will be honest, it isn’t beautiful, but the taste is an out of this world combination of creamy, sweet, fruity and salty. Here is the recipe for Strawberry Pretzel Salad, and one variation listed at the bottom of the post.
2 cups crushed pretzels
3/4 cup butter, melted
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 (8 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
2 (3 ounce) packages strawberry gelatin
2 cups boiling water
2 (10 ounce) packages frozen strawberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Stir together crushed pretzels, melted butter and 3 tablespoons white sugar; mix well and press mixture into bottom of 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, until set; set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together cream cheese and white sugar.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Spread mixture onto cooled crust.
- Dissolve gelatin in boiling water.
- Stir in frozen strawberries and allow to set briefly.
- When mixture is about the consistency of egg whites, pour and spread over cream cheese layer.
- Refrigerate until set.
Cherry variation: You can omit steps 7-9 and just use cherry pie filling. You can also sub cherry gelatin and use cherries canned in light syrup (not pie filling). My last batch I drained canned cherries and used cherry gelatin. I prefer this to the pie filling but both are good. I would venture to say that subbing canned and jello pineapple or orange would also be delicious.